Double-decker 184 buses

An elderly relative of mine coming to visit us recently, early on a mid-week evening, caught the very useful 184 bus from Wood Green station, as he has often done before. At the stop before Ally Pally station, the driver announced that those who wanted the station should get off there, and then went off up Park Avenue and along Bounds Green Road, leaving the old man at Bounds Green station. He had no idea where he was, and phoned me for directions. I could see 184 buses going in both directions down our road, so this must have been an impromptu diversion - perhaps because it was a double-decker? Does anyone know if these are maybe not supposed to go up Palace Gates road, except during school hours?

The bus company/TfL  do tend to assume that everyone who travels on the local bus knows the area - including the invisible bus stops on the Hail-and-Ride section!

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I believe that double-deck buses are not permitted to go along Palace Gates Rd, except for the morning and afternoon school bus.

A few years ago there was a period of several weeks, when quite frequently double deck buses ran on the 184 route, causing a lot of inconvenience to passengers when the buses were diverted along Bounds Green Rd. The bus company, Arriva, advised that the reason was that there was a shortage of single deck buses due to maintenance problems.

I suspect that the same problem has arisen again.

• Ah, I suspected that might be the reason. Thanks Tony.

• Double deckers are not allowed up Palace Gates/Alexandra Park Road. I have been on one these buses before and you have to wait for a single decker.

• Then they shouldn't use them on this route. It's too much trouble for the drivers to have to explain to passengers about this - and even though my relative did talk to the driver, he didn't mention it.

There's a dedicated double-decker school bus that starts from APS after school - I've no problem with that.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.