I am a resident of Bedford Road, opposite the railway station side entrance.

The impact upon my daily life during such large events is huge, and is predominantly due to the inadequacy of transport links locally, to and from the venue. The W3 journeys I have taken during the darts tournament have been scary and I was forced to get off the bus at one point because of overcrowding, shouting and beer slopping from darts attendees. Once, people trying and failing to get on the already crowded bus hammered on the windows and attempted to rock the bus.

The trains get scarily full with lots of people drinking and shouting. Exiting up the stairs and along the pathways at the station can feel very claustrophobic and threatening. If they succeed in current attempts to close the pathway in both directions I think an accident with a bottleneck of visitors is possible. They seem to want to get hordes of people through two ticket barriers. Madness.

I have been abused and threatened going up the steps into my home by some guys on their way to the darts. “We know where you live now! We’ll be back”.

The streams of people going past our doors late at night after gigs, especially late gigs, is noisy and unacceptable. Bottles and rubbish thrown into front gardens.

Having my car moved during Soap Box because I wasn’t back in time (although I was back in good time according to the handouts) and then not knowing where my car was.

Funnily enough I’ve never had a problem when the Knitting and Sewing show is on...

Extra private bus services to Finsbury Park or Wood Green, directly from AP would be good. Lots of them, not just one every 15 minutes.

Crucially, I propose a re-opening of the old railway line that serves AP directly. Is this a viable possibility? Or a route carved through to the existing station that did not pass through a quiet residential neighbourhood. Surely not impossible.

So, how will extra events affect me? HUGELY AND BADLY.

B Klein Bedford Road N22 7AU

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes Indijana's points are definitely worth taking up - or getting taken up. As to the destination of the buses, maybe start with Wood Green station and if obstacles such as restricted parking or capacity arise, suggest Fins Pk for its better facilities for buses, bigger capacity at the station and indeed train lines (ie if I were a concert-goer I'd be very happy to end up there!).

I did suggest to Leila once getting a local paper to cover the issue, which has all the requisite ingredients for a journalist. That would definitely get the issue up the agenda; only problem is, it could start a debate that could then backfire. Worth considering though (I could help on how to do that). Meanwhile, I do sympathise.

(I've just come back from a Crouch End Players performance about the suffragettes by the way, proving demands can get met eventually if enough noise is made  - not that I'm suggesting anyone chains themselves to railings, goes on hunger strike or does time in Holloway Prison!)

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.