Hi all. My daughter swims for Haringey Aquatics at Park Road, Crouch End. I swim there too as does my son who has weekly lessons there with his primary school.  Haringey Aquatics have launched a petition to campaign for a third pool in Haringey to be located in Wood Green.  Two public pools serving a borough this size is not adequate as anyone who uses Park Road can probably testify.  There is a statutory requirement for primary school children to be taught to swim but with only two pools in Haringey this puts huge pressure on space.  Most of the time I swim at Park Road we are squeezed in to two lanes to make way for school swimming lessons which is absolutely as it should be for the children's sake, but less than ideal for others using the pool. In the last couple of years Pure Gym closed and filled in (to my absolute horror!) pools in Muswell Hill and East Finchley when they bought the LA Fitness clubs, further reducing access to swimming. 

There is an opportunity, should the Council wish to make it happen, to build a third pool as part of the Wood Green redevelopment.  In my view this should happen for the benefit of all the community given the huge number of benefits of swimming to every age group and the fact that the ability to swim can save lives.  If you agree, please do sign the petition here.  Thank you! 

https://www.change.org/p/haringey-council-a-third-swimming-pool-in-haringey

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just signed. Thank you Rachel. 

• When we moved here, many years ago, I was amazed at the lack of swimming pools around here - and the number of pools that had closed recently. Wood Green definitely needs one, and this should have been included in the Area Action Plan.

• Petition signed.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.