Replies

• Very interesting, thanks, Hugh! The pool was clearly not as small as it looks on the map, judging by the photos. I see the deep end was only 5ft 3ins, and it had a diving board! They must have assumed that people were very short. There's still a line of bricks along the path by the reservoirs which, Stephen Middleton told us, was all that was left of  the pool.

There are quite a few people in this neighbourhood who remember the Durnsford Road swimming pool, where Sunshine Garden Centre is now, with fondness. It was obviously very popular - here are some memories of it shared on APN.

Durnsford Road Baths
    When we moved into this neighbourhood, I looked for a swimming pool, but all the ones nearby seemed to have closed. My AtoZ showed one where Sunshine…
    • Using the scale on the OS Map, the pool measures out at something like 280 feet in length by about 90 feet wide at the widest end.

Wher did you get the 5'3" figure from? I can't see it. 

• In the press cutting about the opening ceremony?

• ..aha! (Duh!) - which also poo-poos my attempt at measuring length and width from the map! (For the record, it says 190 feet by 40 feet - which sounds much more realistic since an olympic pool is only 164' x 82'!)

• Ok!  Maybe the 5ft 3 is a misprint ..

• Or perhaps they just built shallower pools then with scant regard for H&S...

• Thanks so much for this Hugh, it's fascinating. I had no idea about the pool near Wood Green station.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.