Due to the high levels of antisocial behavior, illegal parking and dangerous driving on site since lockdown in agreement between the Alexandra Palace Trust Haringey Council, the Police, TfL) it has been decided to cose the Alexandra Palace Way Parking Bays day and night and close the road at night.

These measures will cost the Trust an initial £60,000 and will be in place for the foreseeable future. Please support the Trust with donations as you can.

Further information is provided in a blog post from our CEO, Louise Stewart https://www.alexandrapalace.com/about-us/blog/

Key information

• The road closures will commence on Tuesday 2nd June 2020.
  • The hours of closure will be 8pm-5am
  • The W3 bus will be diverted during these hours
  • Cars parked in the Alexandra Palace Way parking bays need to be removed by 9am on Tuesday 2nd June. Otherwise they will be towed.

Cars in the bays currently will be flyered over the next few days (see attached). This is the same approach we take before closing the bays for events.

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just to pick up on this point about 'costly implications' - this really needs to be viewed in a wider context, which I appreciate is difficult when dealing with multiple actors (especially when one is a cash-strapped charity). Before the road was closed to cars in the evening, in my view of the behaviour I witnessed first-hand, a fatality or serious injury collision was a certainty. If that would have happened, costs of around £1,700.000 would have been incurred (via the costs of police investigations, ambulances, etc.).

In Alexandra Ward on an average year 12 people die from illnesses/complications associated with poor air quality. Since the evening closure the whole area appears to have fewer cars passing through and those that remain drive in a more considerate manner. So costs need to be considered in the context of costs that are imposed on the wider area by the use of the road through their park as a through-route that draws additional traffic into the area that wouldn't otherwise be here.

In more direct costs, the amount of through traffic on Alexandra Palace Way will wear the road out more quickly. The last time this private road was resurfaced my understanding is that Haringey council paid for it - is this another cost that could be reduced by managing the amount of traffic using the road? It would seem perverse indeed if costs were used as a reason to deliver more poor health outcomes for local people and higher costs for road maintenance - I would hope the partnership with the local authority would therefore support and encourage the AP Trust to manage the use of their road in a sustainable way?

Given that the proposal for parking charges included 'a barrier-free, pay-on-exit system that will use Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR)'. Is there any practical reason why these cameras could not be deployed on the road itself, to then act as a 'bus gate' to discourage or remove the 80% of traffic that's just passing through (while allowing access by the bus and visitors)?

• I have forgot to mention that we have requested that clear communication about the diversion is given in the bus shelters a, bus stops and inside the buses....

• That's great, thanks, Alessandra!

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.