Hi all,

I'm sharing the message below from Haringey Solidarity Group. Both they and Living Under One Sun are really good local groups to support if you are able to.

Lucy

Hi all,

Haringey Solidarity Group (HSG) is supporting a Haringey organization – Living Under One Sun (LUOS) – with one of the projects they are currently running.

Knowing there are hundreds of local kids with no access to computer, and watching education happening more and more online, LUOS are trying to get as many laptops as possible, so they/we can give them out to local families who need them.

Obviously this should be something the state does. But although they can find money to furlough millions of us; give grants left, right and centre; and spend billions on contracts to their friends, they seem unable to do a relatively easy thing of making sure children who need computer to study from home have the basic tools to be able to do this. So, ordinary people and groups like LUOS (and HSG) have to step in.

But we don’t want any old laptop, as we need to make sure it’s what local children need. Below is the minimum specifications we need, to make them useful.

We are asking ANYONE who has a laptop sitting around to donate it to this project. If you are in (or near to) Haringey we can collect, but ideally we would love it if you could drop it off to us. LUOS have technical people who will clean up the laptops, do minor repairs, and get them ready for the kids.

If you have a laptop you want to donate, email Tony at the email below. If you work for an organization and they are about to get rid of some laptops, then please ask them if we can have them. As long as they meet the spec below, we will take them all.

Please pass this email on to anyone you know who might be able to help.

To donate email Tony at: woodywood2@blueyonder.co.uk or info@haringey.org.uk

Minimum Specifications

RAM: 8 GB

Hard disk: 250 GB

Operative System: Windows 10

Screen: 14" or bigger.

Webcam.

Processor: Minimum I3

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Lucy! It's a pity the state doesn't take care of the kids who don't have access to the internet. We live in the 21st century, but at some points, we are behind. I hope that many people will donate laptops. But, unfortunately, I can't give you mine. Until last year I didn't use it too much, but after our family became bigger, it became necessary. My husband and I adopted a handsome 10 years old boy. We convinced the guys from fosterplus.org that we could offer him a decent life. And we try to do this every day. As he doesn't feel ready to go to school, we enrolled him in online classes.

Foster Plus: Default
    Foster Plus is an effort of 10 social service agencies collaborating to connect kids in need with the support and stability of committed, caring fost…
  • Thanks very much for this Lucy - it is so important for kids to have the laptops they need to take part in school work.

I understand all laptops will have their hard disks cleared and minor repairs carried out, by technical people at Living under One Sun - so no-one can get at your old data! The min. specs. of the laptops are listed in Lucy's post.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.