French Language Meetup?

I would like to improve my rusty and very limited French and have heard about 'meetups' where a group of people get together to practise conversation in a foreign language but I am not exactly sure how they work. Would anyone be interested in setting one up locally?

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good idea. I would be interested to come, especially if it is an evening – perhaps ideally about 7 or 7.30ish.  

Pubs are a complete no-no for me, as one cannot hear what is said, and good pronunciation is essential to hear a foreign language.  Some pubs have a small room entirely searatet from the noisy pub.  The ideal may be someone's front room if anyone is able to offer that.

David R

• The earliest I could do is Saturday 28 Feb but I don't mind missing the first meeting. 

• I'm interested. My French is very, very rusty though. 

• I would be interested in joining this group. I used to have quite a good command of French but have not used it for many years. I can only make evenings and weekends. Has a date been set for the first meeting?
    • Maybe some a first date should be proposed! If it is to be an evening, I could make tomorrow, 12th, Monday 16th, Tues 17th or Thurs 19th. Some else can come back with time/venue?

• Hilly Kitchen will be less noisy but the pub may be more convivial for the tongue-tied. I may miss the first gathering - will be away the last week in February; but definitely want to join.

• I am interested. I occasionally need French for work and it would be nice not to have to seek help every time. But, I am at a rusty beginner's level and my pronunciation is atrocious; no one would learn from me. 

• My French is atrocious too but I would like the chance to practise. A few people have said that they are interested in meeting up to try to hold a conversation so I thought we could have a trial run at the end of February, preferably somewhere local where it is possible to have a drink to ease pronunciation, maybe at the Maid of Muswell or Hilly Kitchen. What do you think? By the way, thank you for your advice about the hollyhocks, I will give the rusty nail method a go. 

• Ca pourrait m'interesser......

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.