Dear all - your Councillors have attended a briefing with the Library Service on the incoming refurbishment of Alexandra Park Library.  Most of you will be aware of the consultation that took place on two possible designs before last year and those of you who have been recently at the Library may have noticed the books being packed. 

We can confirm that the final design is a tweak of the two and will include a lift to the first floor. The layout will also see on the ground floor the children library and play area on the left, computers and a work area repositioned opposite the entrance, the lift on the right of the entrance, and the community room on the upper floor swapped on the other side of the corridor to allow for more capacity. There will be sofas and reading space on the right more or less where they are now, with the original bookshelves and study tables layout maintained.

In terms of timescale, it has been agreed to include critical maintenance and compliance works in the library refurbishment to minimise disruption to the service so this will now take around 6 months, and allowing time to tender the works, probably starting after August. Times will be confirmed in due course. While preparing and packing for the refurbishment there will be limited book browsing but click and collect services will be available and charges for requests removed, also there will be no children activities the Summer Reading Challenge will be on. During the refurbishment, residents can access the Muswell Hill and Wood Green libraries, or the Home Library Service (https://www.haringey.gov.uk/libraries-sport-and-leisure/libraries/services/home-library-service) if unable to walk there.

We hope there will be no overlap with the refurbishment of the Muswell Hill Library but if this happens, we will discuss with the service how to mitigate the impact.

This is all from my notes; please get in touch if there is any query or want to provide any comment and feedback.

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Allessandra

Just wonderng about the interior. At the moment, the library has quite a pleasant period feel with some wood pannelling. Is this going to remain or be ripped out?

• Hi Ado, when we asked we were told that the panelling should stay, and I agree with you it gives a very nice modernist feeling to Library and it is very nice sitting there surrounded by a natural material. I have asked for confirmation about the final design and chased this, there were preliminary designs shared on this Forum, hopefully will be able to confirm soon.

• Dear all, you will all have seen the Alexandra library closed since February for refurbisment an not much happening. After enquiring it looks now that ' construction works are due to mobilise from the 6th of June with completion early November 22'. So the Library could have well be used for the elections like your Councillors asked and avoid many to having to walk up to St. Andrews Church. I will keep you informed if I hear more.

• Thank you very much for this update.

• Dear Ado, this is the latest update I have received. As it doen't mention the panneling I have gone back again to officers. 

The works scope at Alexandra Library Park includes internal decorations; new platform lift; heating and lighting repair and improvement works; new furniture and fittings; replacement roof; and new CCTV. The internal works at Muswell Hill library is planned to commence early 2023.

During the Alexandra (scheduled to reopen by end of the year), Highgate and Muswell Library closure periods Local residents will have access and be signposted to at least one other local library in addition to both Hornsey and Wood Green libraries.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.