Put the Flu jab at the top of your to-do list!

Haringey Council is encouraging people most at risk from cold weather, including those with long-term health conditions and the over 65s, to prepare for the lower temperatures.

One of the ways people can stay safe this winter is to get immunised against flu. Getting a flu vaccine during 2020-2021 is more important than ever because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic

Vaccination is especially important for adults 65 years and older, who account for most hospitalizations and deaths from flu and from COVID-19, people with long term health conditions, everyone living in a residential or nursing home and anyone who cares for an older or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill.

Even if you had a flu jab last winter you will need another one this year as the vaccine is changed annually to fight the latest strains of flu.

If you fall into any of the above categories, or for any advice and information about the flu vaccination, speak to your GP, practice nurse or pharmacist. Find out more in this short animation.

The jab will help protect you and your family from flu and more serious problems so please act today.

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You can also get pneumonia jab if you have certain conditions such as respiratory problems, diabetes etc.

I've had them for years and never had any problems.

• When I enquired about the pneumonia jab at my GPs, after being advised to have it last year, I was told that it was just one shot that protects for the rest of one's life. But your GP is the best to seek advice from. 

• Lots of different opinions, it seems!

• So I guess the pneumonia jab has to be renewed every year?

• This is strange - had not heard one existed! Pneumonia jab, I mean. Why isn't there more publicity about this and why don't they mention it when you get the flu jab??

• I didn't realise that pneumonia was specific viruses until recently - just assumed that it was what you got when flu etc got very bad! I think the jab does not protect against all those viruses.

Thanks for info. about there being two jabs, Emma - I hadn't heard of that. Must get round to getting them done ...

• You can get a pneumonia jab when you are 65 (used to be 60). It is not just one: PCC and PCV jabs, one year apart. I know people who have only had one because their doctors do not tell them or follow up to make sure both are done.

• One note of caution about the pneumonia jab. I think they offer it when you're 70

A member of my family had it done. Since then, whenever she gets a cold, it invariably turns into severe bronchitis which lasts weeks.

• I was due a pneumonia vaccination on Friday, got a call early in the morning saying that it was cancelled as they had run out of vaccine, not expecting anymore until the new year!

• If you have never had a pneumonia vaccine, make sure you get that too. Check with your GP.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.