A group of users of the W3 bus (living in N22, N8, N10 and N17), confused by the inadequate information provided by TfL for these diversions, have written to the Council asking them to put pressure on TfL to improve the provision of information - not only with regard to these diversions, but in general. 

We have received a promising initial response, that TfL will implement some improvements, including one, at least, mentioned in the letter. We are awaiting a more detailed response to our points, and I will update this website when we hear further.

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Annabel -  I have raised this in the past with TfL and -  as discussed more recently - with respect to the diversions created for the roadworks and Summer events. I have finally received the response below from TfL, which seems to confirm that information on bus stops and countdowns have been implemented.

Please see the latest bus stop publicity attached. The first one covers the longer term diversion and there’s second to cover an event next weekend. I’m told that all bus stops should have the correct publicity now and that Countdown has been updated. Please do let me know if anything I’ve said is not being reflected on the ground and I’ll do my best to work with colleagues and rectify.

There is nothing said about maps inside the bus, so I would appreciate if you and all those who read this and use the W3 more than I do could check and let me know if this is not the case. These attached are the notices that should have been posted. Many thanks! 11129811695?profile=RESIZE_584x11129812270?profile=RESIZE_584x
    • Many thanks, Alessandra, for this and for your efforts - which are clearly getting results - on behalf of W3 bus users! The first map is excellent for the usual diversion of the bus on occasions such as this weekend’s event at the Palace, and I hope they use it for future such diversions. I have seen this map on bus stops on Alexandra Palace Way, but I have not seen the second map - of the current long-term diversions - on any bus stops (is there enough room for two maps there?). This lack of information is what our group of local residents were particularly complaining about. Even if the poster had been fitted on the bus stops, its meaning is not at all clear (except for users of the 144 bus). The information on the Alexandra Palace website is much simpler to understand (and the TfL website section on longterm bus diversions still has no info at all on these complicated diversions, which have been going on since March and will continue into July).

One problem is surely trying to fit a lot of information onto a small bus stop. We have been trying to persuade them to use the large expanse of (wasted?) space in bus shelters – which are generally at the most popular stops – to display this essential information for bus users. Information on bus stops (i.e. the concrete posts) is often not seen by those standing in bus shelters, and not at all at night or on winter afternoons when it gets dark early. Shelters have lights in them.

You mention our request for small posters about diversions in buses themselves – necessary because passengers who find themselves on a bus on diversion have no way of finding out where it is going, apart from asking the bus driver which is, very understandably, not allowed. There has been no indication that TfL intended to do this, so we need further campaigning!

Our negotiations with TfL do, however, seem to be getting somewhere, and we are very grateful to you for this, Alessandra. Also to Jason Small from the Flood and Water Management team at Haringey Council, who has also been getting constructive responses from them, and to Joanne McCartney, the rep for our area on the London Aseembly, who is on the LA’s transport committee and is concerned about this issue (having experienced such problems herself!). If anyone else would like to join our campaign (or has additional experiences to share), please reply to this post or direct message me (mailbox icon at top of the page).

• Annabel,  many thanks for checking and the feedback above. I did notice that there was no mention about bus shelter so I have asked that immediately. For the rest I will wait until mid week in case there are further comments from other readers of the post before going back to TfL. It is possible that since not all bus stops have a shelter only one type of map has been procedured, let's see what TfL says. I agree is important to mobilise as much support as possible and I would also like to thank the Deputy Chair of the London Assembly's Transport Committee in the London Assembly, Caroline Pidgeon AM, who has also been involved in this issue and in getting the 184 bus operator to monitor the bus speed. 

• Great, thanks, Alessandra.

• I have four comments to make:

(i) What of visualy impaired? How are the diversions communicated to them?

(ii) Also, wheelchair users need to know about dropped kerbs (not all routes are suitable for wheelchairs because of shortage of dropped kerbs). And some notices are too high or to awkwardly placed for them.

(iii) When a bus line operates only one way, as the W3 has done during the recent road works, the maps are of no use. A clear message on the posts and on the buses might help. 

(iv) Also, W3 is used a great deal by non-locals going to the Palace. A link on the poster to a site with detailed explanation would be helpful as well as a link to the Ally Pally instructions for events attendancies.

Many thanks. 

• Thanks, Indijana, good points. They definitely need full explanation of what is happening - and a large poster in the bus shelter itself should be able to help with this. Do you have other suggestions?

For the visually impaired, a little poster on a bus stop, with no light, is obviously hopeless.

• Thasnks Annabel. I think a large poster in the bus shelter would be an excellent idea. I have noticed that many bus users rely on apps to find out when their bus is coming etc. There seem to be a number of these apps for Lonodn buses. Is it feasable to pass the information onto them too?

And since it is TFL you are dealing with and they have clear guidelines on accessability for the disabled users of public transport, the issue of dropped kerbs perhaps can be raised again and again. It gets little attention, yet is limiting movement of wheelchair and mobility vehicles users when there are no dropped kerbs on their routes. Finding alternative routes takes time and much frustration, humiliation and change of plans happens to the disabled  when buses are diverted. A map of dropped kerbs (or absence of dropped kerbs) would  help. It could also encourage the Council to install more. The cost is minor and the benefits subastantial to all pavement users including pedestrians.

One more thing: the quality of driving has improved steadily on London buses. The drivers who are considerate to their passengers and other road users deserve perhaps a little more than casual thanks. Can we have a feedback facility?

Many thanks

• Great points, Indijana! I think what we need ia a bus users' group - there's been a surprising lack of anything like this.

I hadn't noticed that the quality of driving by bus drivers has improved - great news!

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.