Replies

• I quite agree that volume and speed should be separated, but from my perspective, primarily because I think speed is something we can deal with relatively easily and change drivers' attitudes (through enforcement), while reducing volume of through traffic is a much harder challenge. 

And you are right, the police have repeatedly pleaded a lack of capacity needed for enforcement of speed limits. Which is why we were excited about prospect of councils gaining powers to take over the enforcement of speed limits in residential areas. Alas, I know nothing of Traffic management Act, only what we were told by the Council at different times. Is there a Local Government Act regulation that covers traffic management? 

• You may be right Grant. However, that was one question we residents sought a clarification on from the Council when 20 mph was first discussed (2 years ago now or close to it - at a meeting with Tony Kennedy and others) and were told that they would have powers to fine (and keep the revenue) because of the new local gov. regulations introduced/to be introduced. This was again confirmed during the area survey with the Traffic Committee chair (I remember this because, somewhat to his annoyance, I kept asking the question again and again. I also believe that this was why the PGRA did not go ahead with the purchase of a speed camera as had been planned.

The question of who would have the powers to collect fines and control the moneys raised (from mobile speed cameras) has been of vital importance to us residents because of the history of the local police's reluctance to enforce speed limits and perennial problems with speeding in residential roads..

But, it would not be the first time that we were told something that later proved not to be correct as labyrinthine local government rules and regulations and byzantine practices of our council make it hard to get straight answers. 

• Councils in London have powers to enforce 'moving traffic violations' but I don't think that includes speed limits. I understand some bits of the Traffic Management Act have not been implemented, perhaps speed limits are in there.

Ultimately the problem of excessive speed and volumes of motor traffic is due to Haringey's neighbourhoods mostly being open for drivers to use as attractive through-routes. There will never be enough police enforcement capacity to solve the problem whilst that remains the case (and speed enforcement doesn't do anything for poor air quality, severance, etc.). I suspect this subject deserves a discussion all of its own though!

• ' byzantine practices of our council make it hard to get straight answers.'

Funny that. I seem to have experienced axactly the same.

• Start driving 20 mph now. I hear that mobile speed cameras will be used as soon as the limit comes into force ( a fair way to raise the desperately needed revenue for the council services I guess).

Changing the habit takes time and a lot of drivers may get caught out - it feels unnaturally slow at the beginning on familiar roads. 

• I'm fairly certain councils have no enforcement powers over speed limits, only the Police can do this and any revenue would be collected by central government. A clear case where localism could make a real difference! 

• The launch of the Haringey Council 20 mph speed limit has been confirmed as Monday 29 February.3376944?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.