Pinkham Way - update

You'll have seen PWA's request for support at last Thursday's meeting of the LBH Regulatory Committee when it was considering the draft North London Waste Plan. PW was, irrationally and completely unnecessarily, included in the plan.

The gallery of the Council Chamber was pretty full - it's amazing to me that, after eight years of this fight, supporters are still willing to give up a couple of hours to offer support. We appreciate it very deeply..

Committee members asked more and more searching questions of the Council, which is exactly the purpose of this committee. It was established to examine in detail the more complicated planning issues. Its function is not to make decisions, but to advise / make recommendations to the Cabinet.

Members on both sides made very good points, well appreciated from the gallery. 

All of a sudden, the small Lib Dem group suggested a vote to advise the Cabinet that Pinkham Way should be removed from the plan.

Before we really understood that it was happening, the vote had taken place. 

And there was a 6-5 majority in favour of advising removal - which included some Labour members.

So is the ground shifting in Haringey? We'll see on November 13th when the Cabinet will discuss the Waste Plan in the light of the Reg Committee's advice. We can be sure that the other Councils will bring heavy pressure to bear on Haringey.

The Cabinet meeting  is on Tuesday, November 13th at 6.30pm.

More soon - look out for a newsletter by the middle of next week.

As ever, many thanks for your continung support.

Stephen

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great news that the vote at the Regulatory Committee meeting went in favour of removing Pinkham Way from the North London Waste Plan.

• I love this summing up of the situation by my PWA colleague Karl Brown, writing in the Palmers Green Community Newsletter:

"This one is long since well past the emperor having no clothes; rather the emperor appears to be running around naked with arms in the air blowing raspberries in all directions."

On the button!

• Many thanks for posting an update on the campaign for PInkham Way. Local support for the campaign appears to be as strong as ever.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.