Seeking cyclists

In the last week or so cyclists on my road (the dog-leg bit at station end of Alex Pk Rd) have caught my attention and I'd now like to catch up with some of them - for a planned feature on cycling (and walking), which the Govt now wants to encourage. Four of the cyclists spotted that I'd like to get in touch with if possible are:

- A woman cycling with her dog on a lead - both happily spinning down the middle of the road (as only lockdown allows!)

- A family on three bikes, incl one with a trailer and I think another with a child rear seat.

- A man with his dog in a backpack (both looking very happy I should say!)

- A father and son on a tandem.

If anyone knows these people - or come to that other people who now travel like this or similarly - please let me know! I need to progress this quickly as come Wednesday motorists will doubtless be back on the roads in force.

As at least one person has said, if we don't want to go from lockdown to gridlock with everyone getting back in their cars, cycling and suchlike are the way...

Thanks! Tessa

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Totally agree, Tessa, we need to keep cycling until we reach critical mass.

Now is the time for the council to implement low traffic neighbourhoods so that we don't go back to pre-covid pollution and streets gridlocked by cars.

• Hi Tessa

I am a doctor  working in Holloway. I borrowed a bike from a friend at the beginning of lockdown and have been commuting to work on my bike since then. I'm not a very confident cyclist so a bit nervous of cycling as it starts to get busier on the roads

• Dear Joanna,

I am a fully qualified cycle instructor. If you or anyone else would like advice about how to ride safely, how to deal witgh traffic and how best to position yourself, improve your handling skils, plan a route then please do get in touch. Will Embliss 07946 625957

• The tandem might have been me. Thing is though, up until a week or two ago my kid was riding his own bike on the road on our rides, but Crescent Road is already back to its pre-lockdown status of being far too hostile with through traffic for me to allow that. Fewer cars but many of those that remain are driving aggressively at outrageous speeds. Seeing your child be driven at by impatient drivers, apparently to force them out of the way so they don't have to slow down, is utterly terrifying for a parent.

• Would love to talk then Grant and time not on our side now... But the bit of Alex Pk Rd in question is still very very quiet so there's still opportunity. Would also like to invite you - and other locals - on the proposed safe green ride we're planning as follow-up to the PGRA streets meeting to help less experienced or confident cyclists to get on two wheels, keeping the air cleaner, the roads safer, bodies fitter ... (you can fill in the rest!)

Everyone reading invited obviously...Tessa

020 8888 3600

07796 942281

• So glad this is happening, Tessa! Great move.

• Hi Tessa, Lisa here. I have been cycling a lot since lockdown-what do you want to know? Been on the dog leg bit in Alexandra Park Road.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.