Traffic Survey

In July Haringey Council placed some tube strips between Outram and Clyde Rd on Albert Road.

The strips counted vehicle volume, speed and class on that particular section of Albert Road (and did not include vehicles that used Harcourt and Clyde Rd to access Albert Road)

I have the results of the count if anyone in Albert Rd - or any other road - is interested.

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for volunteering. I will keep you up to date with the scheme. The Police say we should be able to start the scheme in April - but still no confirmation they have the speed guns. There will only be 2 speed guns for the whole of Haringey!!
  • Just to bump this thread... Just picked up on Twitter a commitment by Haringey Police Borough Commander to enforce speed limits in Alexandra: https://twitter.com/MPSHaringey/status/699947466230210560

• I'm interested - could you just give us a sense of what the findings were?

• Hi Susie,

The survey confirmed pretty much what residents know: the majority of traffic is travelling in one direction - towards the junction with Durnsford, there are a large number of class 3 and 4 vehicles using this narrow section of Albert Rd (i.e two and three axle trucks. A four axle truck also used Albert Rd during the survey)

The majority (up to 69% on some days) of traffic is going above 20mph. I had to work this out myself as Haringey didn’t mention this in their reply.

There were vehicles recorded travelling at 50 mph and 45 mph. This despite Haringey saying the speed bumps are effective in a 20mph zone.

There are at least 1500 vehicles per day using Albert Rd as a through route - though the survey did not count vehicles accessing Albert Road via Clyde Rd and Harcourt Rd so the true figure is much higher. Nonetheless Haringey presented the survey as proof that there is no issue with traffic volume and speed on Albert Road. It did take a FOI request to get the full survey as they would not let me see it initially. I am currently analysing the data to get the full picture as Haringey have sent data without any interpretation.

I would be very interested to know traffic counts for Clyde Rd and Harcourt Rd. If any residents living on those roads would also like to know, please contact Haringey and ask for a survey. We can then begin to plot a true picture of what is happening on our streets regarding traffic.

I can also forward the data – once analysed – to anyone who wants it.

• thank you Richard - this is impressive if depressing news - the strip looked damaged after only a short time so am glad the results back up what we all see. That number of vehicles is nevertheless astonishingly high ! How they see this as not problematic is impossible to understand, and I wonder how they think the bumps that literally cannot be touched by tyres can do anything!

• Hi Adam - The majority of traffic is going above the speed limit in both directions on every day of the survey.
      Westbound on the 10th of July, 63.49% vehicles were going above the speed limit, 11th July - 59.03% were going above the speed limit, 12th July - 63.21%, 13th July – 63.25%, 14th July – 67.93%, 15th July – 60.62%, 16th July – 62.49%.

Vehicles were recorded at reaching speeds of 50mph
      Haringey have repeatedly told me that the speeds bumps are 'approved' and 'sufficient'

According to the classification included by the contractor, 805 Class 4, 5, 6 vehicles used Albert Road as a rat run over the 7 days. These included class 6 vehicles - four axle trucks. These are all restricted vehicles.There are a lot of lorries and large vans rat running up Albert Rd.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.