Hi All,

I just wanted to share some historic postcards I bought featuring some of our local area! It's lovely see these cards and how the area has changed - but also has stayed the same!

Outram Road

8233462460?profile=RESIZE_710x

Albert Road (I think)

8233461495?profile=RESIZE_710x

Alexandra Palace Station (Wood Green station as it used to be called)
8233462478?profile=RESIZE_710x

Ally Pally Boating Lake (including quite an impressive tower - our own Eifel Tower or Blackpool Tower!)

8233465657?profile=RESIZE_710x

Little train at Ally Pally

8233465099?profile=RESIZE_710x

I hope that you enjoy the above photos! Always lovely to see some historic photos of our area - I also really like the train, and it reminds me of one of the photos from the History of Alexandra Park booked - from Friends of Alexandra Park - which shows the old tram from Wood Green to Alexandra Palace. There was even the talk of a Monorail in the 1970s when one of the proposals was to build a football stadium at the palace. 

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great pics. Wonder what the hut-like structures on Outram road were for?

• Yes I'd love to know. And that strange structure just by the turn into Clyde Road..

• The hut is a sales hut - where the estate agent would have been based. You can just read "Villas Sold" on the hut. 
      Annoyingly I cannot read what's on the large placard - but assume it might more advertising. 

• Yes, I think the board is probably advertising the houses for sale/rent.

• Oh my goodness Nick these are amazing! I've always wanted to see what our streets looked like when everything was still new. No cars at all and so much decorative detail. Do you have a sense of the dates of the cards? What a lucky acquisition....

• Thanks Susie. I'm not sure of the date - the postcard isn't dated - but the card is addressed to Mr & Mrs Ryall at 53 Outram Rd. 

I assume by the fact that the trees are only little saplings and the sales hut, it was probably around the time of the construction of the homes there. 

• Hey!

Thanks so much for sharing these photos. The roads look so wide without cars and the trees in Outram Road look so small - like newly planted saplings.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.