Dear All,

You might be aware that the Local Government Boundaries Commission is reviewing the Haringey Ward boundaries, and as part of the process Haringey Council have submitted their recommendations, which has been reported in today's Ham & High. The article incorrectly states that the proposals from the Local Boundary Commission will be published next week (this is incorrect, as the LGBCE has postponed the publishing until after the EU elections). 

However, importantly for Alexandra Ward, Haringey Council's proposal is to abolish Alexandra Ward and merge the East into Bounds Green and the West into a new Muswell Hill East ward. The Council's proposals means the Triangle, Albert Rec, Tunnel Gardens/Bidwell Gardens and the north half of Palace Gates Road would become part of the new Bounds Green Ward, and the rest will be Muswell Hill East. According to the Council's submission "The council believes voters in Alexandra have more in common with those in Bounds Green due to the Tube stations."

The Haringey LibDems submission to the consultation was to keep Alexandra Ward with some minor changes to the ward. 

the Local Government Boundary Commission will publish its draft recommendations at the end of May (28th of May), and then there will be opportunity for local residents, residents groups, etc., to make comments on the potential changes. Once the option for consultation goes live, we will be sharing with everyone the opportunity to make comments. Website HERE

You need to be a member of Alexandra Park Neighbours to add comments!

Join Alexandra Park Neighbours

Replies

• Hi Annabel,

the commission will publicise their initial proposal on 28th; and then they will lead on the consultation. The Council’s submission is as the article. . 

I have attached the final (very) rough draft that the Council circulated to some people. This shows the triangle area subsumed into Bounds Green Ward, and the remained for Alexandra, including Place and Park transfer over to the new Muswell Hill East. 

The Council may have made some minor amendments since the below was drawn up,

the Crouch End Neighbourhood Forum on their submission (HERE) have suggested splitting Alexandra a bit more drastically, with the triangle area going to Bounds Green, the rest to Muswell Hill North and part of the park to Hornsey.

the LibDem submission was to retain Alexandra Ward with some minor amendments to the boundaries, including taking the cottages and houses around the Starting Gate into Alexandra Ward, due to the relationship with and proximity to the station and the Palace. 

All the submissions will (pending any other elections) be announced on 28th May.

2223594451?profile=RESIZE_930x

CENF comments electoral review Haringey v2.pdf
    • Thanks, Nick, yes I meant to say that these are proposals by Haringey Council.

I see that their proposed Muswell Hill East ward does indeed stretch all the way from Palace Gates Road to the edge of Highgate Wood - can't see the logic in that!

• Indeed. There are some rather ... how shall I say, entertaining allocations of the ward boundaries - especially in the creation of Muswell Hill East, which cobbles together some distinct communities. 

Haringey Council, in various meetings, made out that there was no “Alexandra identity”, and thus the argument put forward for the abolition of Alexandra Ward. 

I suppose all we can do now is wait for the Commissions recommendations; I do hope that they take on board the views of various submissions that will have argued for Alexandra Ward to remain. 

• No 'Alexandra identity' - ?!!! 

Another point - I thought one reason for changing ward boundaries was that Haringey has 30k more people than in 1999 - in which case getting rid of a ward seems counter-productive!

• Indeed! 

Haringey Council’s proposal is to create one or two new wards in the east of Haringey - around Tottenham Hale.

• I don't understand the Ham&High's description of new ward boundary proposals - how could the 'top of Highgate Wood' relate to a new ward on the east side of Muswell Hill? Have to wait till Tuesday when the Council launches their public consultation, I guess. Here are the existing ward boundaries:

2223490545?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This is from the website of the Local Government Boundary Commission :

We also aim to ensure that the ward boundaries reflect the interests and identities of local communities, as well as promoting effective local government.

My personal view as a resident of Alexandra Park, living a stone's throw from Alexandra Palace and just few minutes' walk from Alexandra Palace station, is that I identify with the existing Alexandra ward. We even have our own dedicated community website, run by volunteers from the Alexandra Park area.

• Indeed. Hence why we supported the retention of Alexandra Ward with some minor amendments. I would also be in favour of the ward name changing to Alexandra Park; but not sure if the commission would do that....

• I agree with keeping “our” ward and also with a name change to Alexandra Park.  Perhaps this would help spur on/maintain the integrity of our little high street of shops in Crescent Rd. 

Splicing PGR down the middle? Words fail me at the mo.  I’ll try to find some and contribute more re these shocking proposals. 

• NB CHANGE OF VENUE for public meeting about ward boundary changes

Dear Katie, Jackie and anyone else who may have put the venue for next week's public meeting in their diary: it will now be in St. Andrew's Centre, corner of Alexandra Park Road/Windermere Road N10 2DD. Same time: Wednesday 10 July at 7.30pm.

This reply was deleted.

To add a post - click on +Add new Post at top right (if it is not there, you are not signed in - see link at top of page); fill in the details, then click on black button below.

To later edit it, click on the post header to display it, then on +Edit at top right.

If you wish to give somebody your contact details, you may prefer to do so by personal message (click on little envelope at top of page, then on +Compose) rather than putting it in a post which is visible to everyone.

Advertisements

Click on an advert for more info.