To post anything on the website, you need to be a member of the site – to join, click on the Sign Up button at the top of page.
Edit your profile (personal details)
To Reply to any of the posts on the site:
- Click on the post’s header
- Type your reply in the empty box below it
- Click on the black Reply button below that
You can use the Search box at the top of the page to find posts or people on the site.
To Add a New post to the site
There are four webpages which are most commonly used:
- The Forum page – for any discussion topic, including tradespeople recommendations and items offered/wanted for free/sale
- The Events page – to add information about a local event
- The Blog page – for topics that you would like to discuss at greater length (e.g. descriptions of recent events/activities)
- The Gallery – to upload photos or videos of local interest
To add a post to any of these pages:
- Click on the name of the webpage on the menubar (Forum or etc.)
- Click on the text in red at top right of the page: +Add new post (or event/blog/photo). If this is not displayed, you are not signed in!
- Type your post in the displayed box; if your post is on the
- Events page, you will be prompted for date, time and location of the event, and an image.
- Forum page, you must chose a topic category from the drop-down list
- For any page except the Gallery, you can add an image by clicking on the image icon (2nd left above your text), then choose its position on the page, and perhaps its width (e.g. 200pixels).
- Gallery, you will be prompted to browse for a photo
- Click on the black Publish button below the box (or on Cancel to cancel it)
To Edit or Delete a post that you have created, click on its header, then on Edit at top right. Make your changes, and then click on the black button as before – or, to delete the post entirely, click on the red dustbin at bottom right of the box.
Points peculiar to particular pages:
Forum: topic categories are listed in the left sidebar – click on one of these to display posts in this category. When adding a new post, you could also add a tag, which helps people find it – particularly useful for tradespeople recommendations (e.g. window cleaner).
Events: if your image looks very small when displayed, you might like to also add it to the main text box, using the method described in item 3c above. One of the site moderators will later add the basic details of your event to the Events calendar (in the left sidebar), with a link to your post.
To send a Personal Message to another member of the website:
- Click on the little envelope icon at the top of the page
- Then on Compose at top right.
- Type your message, then click on the black button at the bottom to send it.
If you receive a message, a little red number (for number of messages) will be displayed on the envelope icon.
To change your Personal Details that are stored on the site (including your email address and profile image):
- Click on My Page on the menubar
- Then on Options
- and Edit Profile – or, to change your profile image, click on Upload or etc.
For other info. on using the website have a look at the How-to Guides category on the Forum.